Did we mention we found old termite damage behind the shower walls? Or that the a/c and heater broke earlier that year and were then struck by lightning a few months later? It was a good year for homeownership (sarcasm). Regardless, it's also one of the reasons why the project took longer than most of our others. Others included a) Ben is working towards his masters, b) I had a third baby, and c) it was a HUGE renovation that required we gut everything because it was all ugly and unsalvageable. The wallpaper was so glued to the walls in most spots that despite professional-grade steamers and chemical concoctions I felt uneasy about in my home, it would take whole pieces of drywall off with it. For us, it was easier to redo the drywall. The only parts we didn't do ourselves were the cabinets and their installation, and my wonderful dad laid the shower tile. The rest of the story I think can be told best in before and after pictures.
New roof inspired some major pruning and replanting.
Before: Sailboat wallpaper, sea shell sinks, and missing cabinet doors.
The door fell off days before we noticed the leak. I guess it was time.
Beginning the demo.
It was messy business.
Already looks better.
After! I love it.
We switched the tub and shower to different sides. This gave us a very large shower and a perfect place for the tub.
So there it is. A year and a half of our life demoing, reconstructing, patching, mudding, sanding, priming, painting, cutting trim, nailing, measuring, painting trim, grouting, caulking, installing, and touching up complete!